The Manitoba government said Wednesday it will provide farmers in the province with more than $150 million in support.
A provincial statement said the government will allot $10 million in additional matching funds for the AgriStability program, as well as $140.8 million for business risk management programming, including AgriInsurance, Wildlife Damage Compensation and AgriInvest.
“With $150 million in supports for agriculture, we’re making sure that farmers and producers can weather the economic uncertainty we’re facing and protecting jobs in the agriculture industry,” said Premier Wab Kinew.
Last month, Ottawa announced it would increase the AgriStability compensation rate from 80% to 90% and double the current payment cap to $6 million for the 2025 program year. Ottawa announced the expansion of the AgriStability partially in response to Chinese import duties which were imposed last month on some Canadian agricultural products, including peas, pork, and canola meal and canola oil.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump announced a new 10% baseline tariff on a broad range of American trading partners yesterday. Still impacted by previously announced US levies, Canada avoided the baseline tariff, but Trump’s aggressive policies have stoked fears of a possible global trade war.
The 2025 Manitoba budget also sets aside contingencies to support Manitobans in the face of US tariffs, including $100 million in support for farmers and producers, bringing Manitoba’s total support for agriculture producers to as much as $250 million, Kinew added.